Tuesday, September 10, 2013

The Continuing Saga of My Bankruptcy

I think I mentioned the story was a long one, so I've broken it up into several segments. Here's another one. In the meantime, I'm going to complete my second financial money management course, as required by the bankruptcy courts.

So I scrambled for work, while my credit card payments ate into the $18,000. I eventually got work, but I had to add two part time jobs in order to feel like I was going to stay afloat. Then, within a month, I lost one job, and the other one ended.

I decided to go to trucking school. Long story short, nine months, eight tries at passing the CDL test, two schools, and $23,000 later (all on the credit cards) I finally got my license. I worked six weeks, got sick, then lost my job. Then, the real fun began. I was literally scared shitless all of June, 2008. I finally did get a full time job, and added a teaching gig, and for the first time was bringing home around $600 a week and feeling better. I wrote letters to my creditors, saying I'd pay them. I did pay off some bills, but the majority of them were too overwhelming. Then, Discover Card put a lien on my house. Since I co-owned the house with a relative, I couldn't lose it. So I called a lawyer. Had an appointment with him, and I didn't like his attitude. He wanted to know my political beliefs, and tried to convince me I lived in a ghetto (it's a starter house neighborhood, in a very convenient location). I called another lawyer and frantically filed paperwork while my worklife was sending me into another department, and lots of stress. I was convinced if I didn't have a heart attack then, I never would. Paperwork was filed, a plan was decided on, and I started making payments. That was May, 2010.


2 comments:

  1. Ugh judgmental lawyers make me crazy! Yes, that's me being judgmental. I'm glad you found someone else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am too! I just felt really uncomfortable discussing the economic woes of the nation and being asked about who I thought was to blame. Politics is tricky; when it's discussed, someone is always offended it seems. And in business, you shouldn't discuss it period. What side of the fence you are on is your own business. I don't care if you are right or left, just fix my computer, file my paperwork for bankruptcy and/or prescribe the damn prescription so I can get better! It pays to look for a lawyer who is sympathetic, but BUSINESSLIKE.

    ReplyDelete