Saturday, September 14, 2013

Here a Sock, There a Sock, Everywhere a Sock Sock

From time to time, I will be running some money-saving tips and tricks. Consider this a brief break from my ongoing bankruptcy story! Hope you enjoy it!

I felt in the mood to clean the other day, so I rummaged through a couple of drawers. It dawned on me that I have a lot of white socks. I actually thought about getting rid of all my white socks and buying maybe 12 pairs of white socks all the same fabric, color and style. The white socks I have go all over the map: ankle socks, short socks, long, scrunchy socks. So I sat down and looked at them, and tried to pair them up. It was tricky going, because I have socks that are nearly identical. Close, but no cigar. So instead of ditching them all and buying new ones, I thought I'd take a Sharpie and number the socks. Pair number one got a number one written on the bottom of them, Then, pair number two, and so on. I ended up with 20 pairs of white socks. I put the ones that didn't have mates (I may find them later) or the ones with holes in them in a kitchen drawer. I put my worn underwear there. I recycle the socks and underwear as rags to polish furniture with, or to tie my tomato plants to stakes. Because I had a Sharpie and some common sense, I now have more white socks than I really need. There are some sock styles I like better than others, but at least I don't have to wear the same pair days in a row because I can't find another matched pair of socks. So, call it $20 or so saved, because I took the time to sort my socks and number them.



No comments:

Post a Comment