Saturday, September 21, 2013

Miley Cyrus is Rich and So is My Friend Heidi!

Today's post (yes I know it's late, sorry) is from my friend Heidi. We have known each other for a long time. I've traveled quite a bit with Heidi and visited her when she moved to Key West for one winter. She has a neat blog, and I asked her to write something for Recovering Bankrupt. So go check out her blog!
------------------------


My name is Heidi, and I have a blog called Heidi’s Wanderings (http://heidiswanderings.blogspot.com).  My blog is about everyday life, and how to enjoy life. And I was really glad when Gloria asked me to do a guest post I knew exactly what to write about. So please feel free to visit my blog and wander along with me.
I’m Rich
Yes, I do believe that I’m rich. That does not mean that I’m a millionaire. I don’t have a job that pays me loads of money, but believe it or not I am rich! I know that there are those of you who are thinking she’s crazy you can’t be rich if you don’t have loads of money. But that’s not true.
So what makes me rich?
I am able to read and write. Did you know that over 57 million school age children in the world are not attending school. That is not because they don’t want to it’s because they live in places that don’t provide free education to all children.
I ate three well balanced meals today. According to the United Nations 870 million individuals in the world do not consume enough food in a day to meet their daily energy requirements. That means they aren’t able to take in as many calories as they burn. This isn’t a choice for them. They don’t have access to the food.
I have a safe place to live, and my government is stable.  By the end of 2012, 45 million people in the world were displaced due to conflict in their country.
I can go to my kitchen and turn on the faucet to get a glass of water. 38% of the world’s population is unable to do this. Imagine walking to a well to get your water everyday.
I have an operating toilet. Don’t laugh at this one 15% of the world’s population doesn’t. I know there are people who appreciate the great outdoors, but on a cold winter morning I really do prefer going indoors.
These are a few of the reasons I know that I’m rich. And they are just the practical reasons.  I have loads more reasons and if you stop by my blog you might find a few of them out.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent post from Heidi! If we just think about our situation many of us have a lot to give thanks for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I try and think about the things I have and the luxuries we take for granted, like indoor plumbing! A couple times my water was shut off and I had to buy water and heat it on the stove in order to bathe. I could do it, but there is NOTHING like a hot shower when you want one!

    ReplyDelete