Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Working on a Cash Basis

I've been trying to purchase everything for cash and not rely so much on my debit card. There are some things I still pay for with checks, like utilities. But the day-to-day items I've been purchasing with cash. The couple exceptions where I didn't bring enough cash, I DID rely on my debit card. I deposited some money to make up for my sin. But it was nice to know I did have money in my account to cover my error.

I'm doing this because I have been overdrawn quite frequently. Seems like whenever I check my account balance, all seems to be well. I have $200 until my next payday. Then, I buy something for $50, and the next time I check, I'm overdrawn. So I've decided to take out enough money every few days to cover the purchases I need to make. As for shopping online, I think I might buy one of those Visa cards you can put money on and use that.

So after I'm done shopping, I sort out my cash and see what I have. Whatever fives and ones I have, that goes into a box. When I get up to $100, I plan to put half in my IRA and the other half I will treat myself with. Or, I might keep a few ones for the next shopping trip. It's too stressful to worry constantly if I'm going to be overdrawn. But I'm getting paid on all three of my jobs, and as someone said to me, it's easier to manage money if you have money to manage. I'm not rich by anyone's standards, but having income from a third job is helping me. It means I can go to the grocery store and spend $100 and be okay about it.

So you might want to consider going to a cash basis. I tend to spend more when I use plastic. When you are actually shelling out cash, you stop and look around for bargains a bit more, and figure out what you can get this shopping trip and what you can live without. If it helps, make a game out of it. Improvise until payday, if you need to. Each day I spend out of the store means more cash for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment