Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Saving Money at my Favorite Place on Earth




My $10.20 hat.

Last Saturday, I went to Cedar Point for the second time this season. Seeing as that I've not had a real vacation in seven years, I think going to CP twice in one season is totally justified. The place just makes me happy--riding Millennium Force is better than having sex AND an orgasm, and I wish I could bottle the feeling I get when I ride it.

Even though I had a little more money to spend this time around, I didn't go hog wild. Here's some tips for saving money at Sandusky's best-known attraction.

Pack food: I packed three ham sandwiches, six cans of Caffeine-Free Coke, four cookies, a third of a bag of Lays Classic Potato Chips, a baggie full of veggies, and a couple of protein meal bars, along with some water. I figure if I were to buy the equivalent amount of food in the park, it would have set me back at least $60. As it was, I had the urge for french fries, so later on in the evening I had some, washed down with Coke. I was disappointed with the fries--they looked burnt and were a little soggy. I think that little snack set me back about $11. I was still jonesing for fries, so after I left the park, I stopped at McD's and bought a large order of french fries. It was the same amount of food for less than $2, and I drank one of my cans of soda. The fries were superior to CP's offering, and cost a fraction of the amount. CP knows it has a captive audience, and few people are going to drive a two-mile causeway to leave the park looking for better-tasting food at a cheaper price. So pack some food and save some money.

Check for discounted tickets: Meijer's is a regional grocery chain, and they sell admission for CP for $10 off. It's not that big of a discount, but it's something, at least. You also get a discount if you stay at one of the resorts, but cheapskate that I am, I usually make CP a one day trip, even though it's a hell of a long day. I think there's a Subway on route 250 that offers $10 off admission, but I forget what you have to buy in order to get that.

Buying gas: Check for any price wars going on in town, and fill up the night before you leave. If you can possibly swing it, fill up mid-week, then try not to drive anywhere until the day you leave. (I know for some of you, that might be impossible.)

Don't buy souvenirs: I know it's tempting, but try not to buy any trinkety things if you can help it. If you must buy something, get an article of clothing, or a beach towel. That way, you'll get some use out of it. I usually take a walk on the beach and collect shells and whatnot. I plan to make a CP necklace out of shells, and wood, and various bones I found on my August trip. I also got a tiny glass bottle charm, and I've got sand and shells in that which I'll string on the necklace. Instead, take lots of pictures and make enlargements of them, or get footage for a CP video.

Skill games: Unless you are a master, avoid these money-draining activities. I did play a ring toss game this recent trip. I didn't win anything, but I was pleasantly surprised to find out that buying a hatful of rings enabled me to keep the hat. This game was located in Frontiertown. If you are going to play a skill game, check to see if you actually get anything for your money. I had fun playing, but $10 is a lot of money to spend on five minutes tossing rings. However, I DID get a hat. Never mind that the hat probably cost 20 cents to make, in my mind, the game wasn't a total loss.

Check the weather and dress accordingly: I saw that it was going to rain that day, so I packed an emergency poncho that I'd bought years ago and never used. It only cost me a dollar at Dollar General. Sure, I could have bought a blue poncho with Cedar Point emblazoned on the back, but I didn't even want to ask how much these pieces of plastic went for. (Probably at least $5, even though they probably cost 20 cents to make.)

Bring your own meds: Sure, they have Dramamine for sale, and probably an assortment of painkillers, but be smart and bring your own. I had some aspirin in case of a headache, but it was smooth sailing at CP, despite the rain. It cleared up, the temperature was great and I was happy. I heart you, CP.

No comments:

Post a Comment