Friday, October 11, 2013

Entertainment on the Cheap

When I was going through bankruptcy, I didn't have funds to go to movies, miniature golf, take road trips, vacations, or go on minor shopping sprees. It meant not browsing through stores, so I wouldn't be tempted. And don't even talk to me about online shopping. True, there are things I can get through Amazon that I can't get anywhere else, but I enjoy the thrill of the hunt. But browsing online can lead to disaster too.

So one night, I came up with a list of low-cost entertainment. I plan to have this list in my book, but I'm going to print some suggestions here. This isn't all of them, of course.

Go to festivals and people watch. Try to avoid paying admission and parking, if you can. And bring your own snacks.

People scavenger hunt: Write down a list of people you have to find: 25 blonde women, 25 red-haired men, 10 men with tattoos on their calves, 10 women carrying designer handbags, five people wearing orange, etc.

Take a digital camera and if you run across people wearing interesting outfits (or who just plain look terrible) take pictures of them and post them on your blog. Critique their outfits, the way Vice magazine does, or else come up with something funny for them to say and put it in a thought balloon (you'll need a photo editing program for this.)

Treasure hunt: take a baggie with you and pick up things that look interesting. Make a charm bracelet or sculpture out of what you find.

Read. Go to the library and check out fresh reading material.

Take a walk.

Write down your wildest fantasy.

Daydream.

Go to a thrift store with $10. Create an outfit with that amount. See if you can include shoes, as well.

Pick up every free publication in town and critique the articles.

More tips to come!

2 comments: