Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Music For Free

The library is a great resource, and here in Fort Wayne, our library is awesome! In addition to books, and books on tape/CD, there are movies and music. I recently checked out Pet Sounds, the Beach Boys "epic" album. I ripped it to my computer. I mainly wanted it for the songs "Wouldn't it be Nice" and "God Only Knows." No one can harmonize like the Beach Boys. I plan to listen to the entire album eventually.

I also checked out Adele's 21. The only song I really like from that CD is "Rumor Has It."

I also got Smashmouth's Astrolounge. I really enjoy music from the 90s, as that was a very pleasant time in my life. It brings back good memories. I was fairly happy, I was able to travel, I had friends to do stuff with, and it seemed there was always something to look forward to. My niece and nephew were young and I took them to do stuff, and both my parents were alive. Things in general seemed more mellowed out and happy and optimistic.

So, if you want music for free, borrow the CDs from the library and rip them to your computer. As broke as I am, I can't afford to buy a CD every time I hear a song on the radio that I like. Thanks to the record industry, for the last 20 years or so, if you heard a song on the radio, you had to buy the CD (priced anywhere from $10 to $20, depending where you bought it). I bought a CD just to get that song, "Standing Outside a Broken Phone Booth with Money in My Hand", and the rest of the CD wasn't worth it. Imagine how you'd feel paying $15 for ONE SONG. That CD is what stopped me from buying CDs from new artists. And then we had Napster and now we have iTunes and Allen County Public Library cardholders can download three free songs a week from Freegal.

So if you're poor, or a Recovering Bankrupt like me, check out your local library. You'll be glad you did!

No comments:

Post a Comment