Tuesday, January 7, 2014

An Excerpt from My Book

I've decided to upload excerpts of my bankruptcy memoir. It's not done, this is just what I have so far. So enjoy!

Disclaimer
This is a book about my time spent in Chapter 13 bankruptcy. However, it is not a how to declare bankruptcy book. State laws vary, so the situations I talk about in this book may or may not apply to you. The poverty and scraping by will, so pay attention to those parts.



If you are curious about what it's like to be in Chapter 13 bankruptcy, this book IS for you. Bankruptcy is a word that gets thrown around frequently. People are close to it, teetering on the edge, or have been through it, but no matter how you've come to it, people feel ashamed to have to declare it. I was no different. I declared bankruptcy to save the little I had. And to perhaps salvage something for the future. I had fucked up, and I wanted to make amends. Considering I don't even make $30,000 a year working three jobs, it was certain that it would have taken me a looooooong time to pay off the more than $100,000 I had in debt. If, by some miracle, I had been able to pay it off, I would have been much older, and have had nothing saved for the future. But since I probably won't be able to retire, one can argue I should have paid my debt off anyway. Having known an older couple who did just that, and then went out and bought a home costing more than $100,000 right around the age they should have been retiring, I'm glad I declared bankruptcy when I did. There is no way I want to be 75 years old and have to work retail in order to survive. (Which is what that older couple is doing—the wife is 65, her husband is 75.)

No comments:

Post a Comment